Tour of Turkey
For additional information contact, Charles Jamgotchian

1635 E. Ticonderoga Dr.,  Fresno, CA. 93720     Phone:  559-226-5796  eFAX:  775-254-2258
e-mail:  rex@sti.net

Home Page

Aprank or Saint David's Monastery

This was the biggest of the many surprises that Armen showed us.

The extensive ruins of the monastery of Aprank stand near the summit of a hill, about 15 kilometers to the south-west of the small town of Tercan (formerly called Mamahatun), roughly midway between Erzincan and Erzurum. During the nineteenth century it was called the Monastery of Saint David.

Aprank - the name by which the monastery is now known locally - is derived from aparank, the Armenian word for palace. Before 1915 Aprank was also the name of a large village in the valley below the monastery. It had about 50 Armenian households and a church. Aprank village is now called Üçpınar and is inhabited by Kurds.  To see the details, go to the following link.

Google Earth Location

http://www.virtualani.org/aprank/index.htm



The village of Bagpinar


Not much here, just a crop of Cow Manure drying for winter fuel


Climbing up the hill to the Monastery.  Approximately 1500 feet elevation and 2 miles


A few cows hanging out to get blessed


The west facade of the Chapel of Saint David on top of the hills


Holding up one of the Khatchk'ars


Barbara is holding up the other
Khatchk'ars


Barbara taking a break at the entrance to
the Chapel of Saint David


The west facade of the Chapel of Saint David


The twin 6 meters tall khatchk'ars


The monastery of Aprank from the top of the hill


Spectacular landscape from top of the hill


Spectacular landscape from top of the hill


Springs in the rocks with views of the landscape


Small village below monastery


Armenian words
on Chapel of Saint David


Inside of
the Chapel of Saint David


Inside of the Chapel of Saint David


Guler and the
khatchk'ar


View of the
Monastery of Saint John from top of the hill


Monastery picture from top of the hill showing the cows in the courtyard


The twin 6 meters tall khatchk'ars


Armenian writings on the
khatchk'ars



Short guy, Charlie, at the khatchk'ars


Armenian writing on the khatchk'ars


Group photo by the khatchk'ars


Jemal and Guler


Back of the monastery


Side view of the monastery


Monastery walls with windows


Side view of the monastery


Interior showing the Altar location


For a Church this neglected and old, the dome is still intact


Monastery Dome


Front entrance of the Monastery


Armenian writings


Exterior Walls of the Monastery


Armen taking a drink from the Spring